Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Helping Hand

In this blog I wanted to share something that happened a couple weeks into my stay in Kofu that meant a lot to me, Just to give a little background information, there's a grocery store that's located just about a mile from my dorm that I go to often. The major difference between this and any other grocery store that I've been to is that they don't give you plastic bags, you have to provide your own. I made a trip a couple weeks into my stay here and when I was done shopping I realized that I didn't bring any bags with me. The only one I had was from the dollar store that I had just went to. I tried fitting most of what I could in that and then had my arms full with the rest.
I didn't have my bike at this time so I had to walk all the way home awkwardly trying to not drop anything. The bag was pretty heavy since I tried to fit all that I could into it, I probably didn't look like I was having the best of times since I was still trying to get used to my life in Kofu. I was stopped about two blocks away from the store by an elderly lady. I couldn't fully understand what she was saying but she pulled out a couple plastic bags from her purse she had and handed them to me. This was a simple act of kindness but it meant the world to me at that time. I thanked her over and over again trying to hold back tears. This is one of the many examples of the kindness that I've encountered throughout my stay in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment